Yes, files created in Dramatica Story Expert can be opened in Dramatica Pro by changing the filename extension from .DR5 to .DSF.
NOTE: If you have added large images to your characters or throughlines in Dramatica Story Expert, you must replace those images with "legacy (low-rez) pictures". To do this:
- Open your document in Dramatica Story Expert
- Use File > Save As to create a new copy of your document so you do not modify the original
- Go to Character > Casting
- Check the "Include legacy (low-rez) pictures?" checkbox toward the top of the window
- Select each character and assign one of the (really small) icon images to the character
- Repeat for all characters
- Quit Dramatica Story Expert
Changing the File Extension
- Open the location of the file whose extension you wish to change, e.g., Desktop, Documents, etc. By default, Dramatica Story Expert files are stored under ~/Documents/Dramatica Story Expert.
- Right click (or Control+click on Mac) the file and choose Rename.
- Change only the extension on the end of the file name from .DR5 to .DSF, e.g., Hamlet.dr5 becomes Hamlet.dsf. It does not matter whether the extension is upper or lower case.
- Press ENTER/RETURN to confirm the change.
File Extension is not Visible
If you do not see the file extension, please refer to the information below from Microsoft and Apple on how to make filename extensions visible.
Mac OS X
PLEASE NOTE: some features of Dramatica Story Expert, such as Gists, are NOT readable by the Windows Dramatica Pro software. Any gists you've assigned will simply be lost in the conversion from Mac to Windows.
Tag: Dramatica Pro, Dramatica Story Export