If you have received the following error message:
...here are some solutions and a several possible causes.
A solution is to open a Screenplay document that has the format the way you like it, and select the menu command FORMAT > Make Default for All New Documents. You'll get an alert that looks like this:
After you press "OK", try quitting out of the Screenwriter program and starting up again -- you should NOT get the original warning anymore.
Open a document in Screenwriter that has the default settings you like and do the following:
- Use the Format>Element Styles menu command
- Click on the "Save as Default for all new documents"
- Press OK to apply the change
There are a few possibilities:
1) The folder, ~/Documents/Movie Magic Screenwriter/Templates was never installed. (~/Documents means the Documents folder in YOUR HOME FOLDER). This can be due to permissions issue (similar to #3, below).
2) You are using the macOS iCloud Drive feature, which has MOVED the location of the (~/Documents/Movie Magic Screenwriter folder). Screenwriter has created a "new" folder, however it doesn't have any of its Templates. The solution is that you can use the Finder to COPY the entire Templates folder from /Applications/Screenwriter 6.5 into your ~/Documents/Movie Magic Screenwriter folder.
3) If you are NOT using iCloud Drive, then the most likely problem is that the Documents/Movie Magic Screenwriter/Templates folder does not have read/write permissions. To correct this:
- Close Screenwriter if it is open
- Right-click on the Documents/Movie Magic Screenwriter folder and select Get Info
- In the bottom left corner of the window, click on the lock to allow unlock your permissions.
- A window will pop up and ask you for your computer's password to allow you to unlock.
- In the Sharing & Permissions section toward the bottom of the Get Info window, set the user for the 'owner' (Me) folder to Read & Write. (It is okay for you to set the others to Read & Write if you're the only one on the computer, e.g. it is your laptop.)
- Select the owner (Me) user
- Click on the settings icon on the bottom left of the window to reveal the dropdown list and select "Apply to enclosed items…"
- Click on the lock to relock your permissions.
- Close the Get Info window and you should be set to go.