The 'Data Execution Prevention' (DEP) setting in Windows is most likely causing this problem.
To open the DEP settings
- Click on the Start button Windows 'Start' button for Windows.
- Find Computer on the right side.
- Right click on Computer and choose Properties.
- On the left, click on Advanced Settings. Click Continue/Allow if prompted.
- Under the 'Performance' section, click on Settings.
- Click on the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab.
- If not chosen already, click on Allow DEP for all programs and services except those I select:.
- Continue with the steps below (Excluding Screenwriter 6 from DEP).
Excluding Screenwriter 6 from DEP
- Click on the Add button in the DEP window.
- At the top, under 'Look In:' find your hard drive, which is most likely labeled Local Hard Disk (C:) and click on it.
- On the list of files, find the Program Files (x86) folder and double-click on it.
- Find the Write Brothers, Inc. folder and double-click on it. Find the Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 folder and double-click on it.
- Find the file called Scwriter32 and double-click on it. 'Movie Magic Screenwriter' should now be on the list in the DEP window.
- Click OK twice and try running Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 again by double-clicking on the shortcut on the desktop.
There have been extremely rare reports of this issue occurring with a screenshot program called Jing. Try disabling Jing (or uninstall it) to see if that allows you to use the program.