File version: 5.3.1
Requirements: Mac OS X 10.10 - 10.14 (Mojave)
NOTE: Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 is NOT COMPATIBLE with OSX 10.15 Catalina
RELATED LINK: Read this before you update to OSX 10.15
Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 Serial numbers begin with DRAM-
NOTE: Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 is a free update from Dramatica Story Expert 5.0* and uses a completely different serial number that begins with DRAM and uses a different activation account that must be created on activation. (*Free to those who purchased or upgraded to Dramatica Story Expert 5.0). If you do not have a serial number beginning with DRAM, please go to Screenplay.com for the free upgrade by supplying your 5.0 serial number (begins with DRSE0500-). Here is a link with directions for getting the free update: CLICK HERE
This download will install Dramatica Story Expert 5.3.1 as a new installation or update an existing 5.3 installations as an update (this will not affect any of your documents).
- Click here for the 5.0 release notes.
- Click here to see summary of supplemental changes since the 5 release.
- First, quit out of Dramatica Story Expert completely if you have not done so already by clicking Dramatica Story Expert > Quit Dramatica Story Expert.
- Click on the CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE INSTALLER link above on this page.
- Once you click on the link, you MAY get a small window that lets you choose either to Open the compressed file (e.g. DramaticaStoryExpert53.dmg.zip) using an Archive Utility (recommended), or select Save File to save the compressed in your Downloads folder .
- The file is large and can take a while to download. You can check the progress by using your browser's download status option.
- Once the download is done:
- If you choose to open the file, the uncompressed DMG file (e.g. DramaticaStoryExpert53_1.dmg) will be located in your Downloads folder.
- If you chose to save the file, you can find the DramaticaStoryExpert53_1.dmg.zip file in your Downloads folder (or wherever you downloaded the file).
- Open the Downloads folder using the Finder.
- Double-click on the DramaticaStoryExpert53_1.dmg.zip file to un-compress the file.
- Double-click on the DMG file (e.g. DramaticaStoryExpert53_1.dmg) to mount it on the desktop.
- The DMG will open and you should see a Dramatica installer volume (window), though the exact sub-version number may be different.
- Inside of that volume, double-click on the Install Dramatica Story Expert... icon.
- A small message will be displayed saying the pkg is being verified.
NOTE: For some users, the installer seems to get stuck at this point. If this happens to you, follow the directions in this FAQ: Fixing a Macintosh .pkg that gets stuck in the 'verifying" stage...
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
- When prompted for a password during installation, enter the password you use to log into your Mac computer.
- Press the Install Software button.
- Once the installer is completed, you should get the Installation was Successful screen.
- Click on the Close button.
- In the Finder, open your Applications folder. Within the Applications folder there should be a Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 folder. Open the Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 folder.
- If you are updating an already activated copy of Dramatica Story Expert 5.3, you may begin using it now by double-clicking on the Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 application and skip the rest of the steps.
- If this is the first time running Dramatica Story Expert 5.3...
- The next step is to ACTIVATE your software.
- Double-click on the Activate & Register Dramatica Story Expert app to begin the activation process.
- The first thing you're asked for is a serial number. Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 serial numbers all begin with "DRAM".
- Your next step is to choose your registration type. If this is your first Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 serial number registration, which is MOST LIKELY, choose the first option and press Next.
If you have already registered one or more and would like to manage the serial numbers together, or you have already activated Screenwriter 6.5 on your computer, choose the second option.
- For the first option, you'll need to create a new account. (For the second option, log into your existing account.)
- NOTE: This account has nothing to do with the Screenplay.com account or accounts associated with earlier versions of Screenwriter. This is an account for controlling the activations of Screenwriter 6.5 (or Mac Dramatica Story Expert 5.3). You may use the same email and password if you want, but this account exclusively is for managing software activations. The email address you use to create the account becomes the permanent Account ID, so if this is a company account you may want to have the person managing the software set up the account with their company email address. (The contact email address may be changed at a later date, but not the Account ID.)
- When completed, press Next. Fill in the optional information, and press Next.
- Enter your computer name, such as Chris' MacBook Pro, or Desktop iMac, etc. Make unique enough so if you activate more than one Mac you can tell which one is which.
- Press next and your computer will be activated.
- You will get a confirmation screen when you have a successful activation. Click on Finish.
- Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 will open and you're all set to go.
In some cases the installer may ask you to click the "Upgrade" button to install. In these cases, go ahead and click "Upgrade" to complete installation. Once the installation is complete, you can locate the program in the /Applications/Dramatica Story Expert folder on your hard drive.
The first time you install and launch Dramatica Story Expert, you will be asked to create a NEW registration account, which will be the primary email for contacting you. You will also create a password.
Unlike with our previous license management, you can "reclaim" installs at any time using an account management screen that you can access from Dramatica Story Expert's HELP > Activations and Registration command. This command will also ask you for the same email and password for the registration account. See the document "New Features, Enhancements, and Bug Fixes.pdf" for details on this easy-to-use feature.
One-time Warning About "Dramatica Story Expert is not optimized for your Mac"
The first time Dramatica runs on MacOS 10.13.x (High Sierra), you will see the following alert:
Dramatica Story Expert is presently a 32-bit Carbon application. Apple is planning to end support for all 32-bit applications, however that will not be until Apple releases the next major version of MacOS, version 10.14, in late September 2018.
FEAR NOT: We are working diligently so our software will be ready for that September 2018 date.
It is important to understand that you will not lose the ability to run Dramatica Story Expert while your computer is using any version of MacOS High Sierra 10.13.x, no matter how many updates of High Sierra Apple releases.
So there's nothing to worry about until you proactively choose to install the NEXT version of MacOS, version 10.14, which won't be available as fully tested software until at least last September.
See this FAQ for more information.
TAG: Download Dramatica Story Expert 5.3