Updated: September 30, 2020
We know you have been waiting for an update to this FAQ. Hang in there!
IMPORTANT information about free 64-bit / full retina versions of Dramatica Story Expert coming
When Apple rolled out their MacOS 10.15 (called Catalina), it brought with it the biggest changes to MacOS in a decade: the elimination of ALL 32-bit "Carbon" applications, and the requirement that all applications running on 10.15 are 64-bit "Cocoa" applications.
- Apple released MacOS 10.15 Catalina;
- The current Dramatica Story Expert 5.3.1 will NOT run on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina);
- We will prepare a free upgrade to Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 that will run on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), though we do not have an E.T.A.;
- If you upgrade to MacOS to 10.15 (Catalina) or MacOS 11 (Big Sur) on your primary writing computer: Dramatica 5.3 will cease to run;
- You are NOT affected at all if you are planning on staying with your version of MacOS: "Sierra", "High Sierra", or "Mojave" (i.e. MacOS 10.12 through 10.14). Unless there is a compelling reason to install MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), we recommend you stay with your current version of MacOS.
- Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5 will also get a free update for MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) before Dramatica Story Expert.
The Dramatica Story Expert that you are using is built on Apple's 32-bit "Carbon" technology, but not for long. We intend to do a conversion to a modern 64-bit Cocoa version once Movie Magic Screenwriter is out. The 64-bit release of Dramatica Story Expert will support full Retina resolution, and other standards, such as MacOS Mojave "Dark Mode", and full screen, among others.
We also expect this to be a FREE update to all Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 users.
What Do I Need To Do?
Nothing. Sit tight and do not install MacOS 10.15 until we have provided you with a new 64-bit version of Dramatica Story Expert.
However, some users will be tempted or need to upgrade to Catalina. IMPORTANT: If you choose to install Apple's MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) before we ship the new 64-bit Dramatica Story Expert update, your current copy of Dramatica Story Expert will cease to run, though we do have a virtual machine workaround.
Write Brothers has been working closely with Apple engineers to port Screenwriter to the modern 64-bit standard, and it has been a long, slow process because Screenwriter has hundreds of professional features, many more than any other screenplay word processor. Dramatica Story Expert is expected to be a faster porting process than Screenwriter, because its user interface is more limited and because we are gaining valuable porting experience with the Screenwriter port. We expect that our new version will maintain full compatibility with your existing Dramatica story files.
We believe you'll be happy with the results.
If you also own the current version of our screenplay word processor, Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5, you should have received similar communications on the upcoming 64-bit update last week.
Expect further communications from us as we get closer to our own external tests late in the summer.
Write Brothers, Inc.