If you have already disabled your antivirus and security apps and continue to be unable to connect to "register.write-bros.com", which is where Screenwriter 6.0's activation server is located, the problem may be that the version of your browser will not connect to the older style servers because of newer security standards. Here is a way to bypass that system (temporarily) to activate the older version of Screenwriter.
NOTE: Newer versions of Screenwriter use updated activation protocols and do not have this problem.
Here are the steps necessary to modify Firefox:
- Start Firefox
- Use the File>New Windows menu command to open a new window
- Enter about:config in the address bar and hit RETURN
- You will get a warning about modifying firefox settings, which you'll need to accept;
- In the field at the top that says, "Search Preference Name"...
- ...enter security.tls.version.min
- You'll see something that looks like this:
- Click on the pencil, and change the 3 to a 1
- Click on the checkmark to confirm.
- Not sure if required, but EXIT out of Firefox, and restart Firefox.
- Now try to activate again
Once activated, you can change the security version back by redoing the steps and in Step 8, change the 1 to a 3.