If you have never activated Screenwriter 6.5 or 6.7 before, these are the instructions for you. Yes, it looks like a long, detailed process, but it's really not -- we've just broken out each step with pictures. Essentially, you'll download the software installer disk image, open the disk image and run the installer, then run the Screenwriter program to activate using your serial number. Most of those steps are self-explanatory, but we provide these detailed instructions below in case you prefer to follow them.
Mac Screenwriter 6.7 Serial numbers begin with MMSW
NOTE: Mac Screenwriter 6.5/6.7 requires a paid upgrade from 6.0* and uses a completely different serial number that begins with MMSW and uses a different activation account that must be created on activation.
This presupposes you have downloaded and installed the software per the Alpha page instructions. This FAQ is for activation instructions only.
If you have not downloaded and installed the software yet, please go back to the Alpha installation instructions and after you have installed the software return here for activation instructions.
- Once you have installed the alpha software, th next step is to ACTIVATE your software.
- In the Finder, open your Applications folder. Within the Applications folder there should be a Screenwriter 6.7 folder. Open the Screenwriter 6.7 folder.
- Double-click on the Activate & Register Screenwriter app to begin the activation process.
- The first thing you're asked for is a serial number. Screenwriter 6.5/6.7 serial numbers all begin with "MMSW".
- If this is your first time registering this serial number, skip to the next step (#20). If this serial number has already been registered, you will see a DIFFERENT window titled, "Use an Existing Registered Account".
Since you've already registered this serial number, enter the SAME account email and password you used to register this software before. Then SKIP to step #23.
- Your next step is to choose your registration type. If this is your first Screenwriter 6.5 serial number registration, which is MOST LIKELY, choose the first option and press Next.
If you have already registered one or more and would like to manage the serial numbers together, choose the second option.
- For the first option, you'll need to create a new account. (For the second option, log into your existing account.)
NOTE: This account has nothing to do with the Screenplay.com account or accounts associated with earlier versions of Screenwriter. This is an account for controlling the activations of Screenwriter 6.5 & 6.7 (or Mac Dramatica Story Expert 5.3). You may use the same email and password if you want, but this account exclusively is for managing software activations. The email address you use to create the account becomes the permanent account ID, so if this is a company account you may want to have the person managing the software set up the account with their company email address. (The contact email address may be changed at a later date, but not the Account ID.)
- When completed, press Next. Fill in the optional information, and press Next.
- Enter your computer name, such as Chris' MacBook Pro, or Desktop iMac, etc. Make unique enough so if you activate more than one Mac you can tell which one is which.
- Press next and your computer will be activated:
- You will get a confirmation screen when you have a successful activation. Click on Finish.
- Screenwriter 6.7 will open and you're all set to go.
Catalina Security: Catalina introduces a lot of new security measures, and you MAY see an alert like the following:
Make sure to answer OK to that alert, or you will not be able to open or create documents! Another way to check that is to go into the Privacy tab of the Security & Privacy System Preferences. You should see a section, "Full Disk Access:"
Make sure "Documents Folder" is checked beneath Screenwriter.
In some cases the installer may ask you to click the "Upgrade" button to install. In these cases, go ahead and click "Upgrade" to complete installation. Once the installation is complete, you can locate the program in the /Applications/Screenwriter 6.7 folder on your hard drive.
The first time you install and launch Screenwriter 6.7, you will be asked to create a NEW registration account, which will be the primary email for contacting you. You will also create a password.
Unlike with our previous license management, you can "reclaim" installs at any time using an account management screen that you can access from Screenwriter's HELP > Activations and Registration command. This command will also ask you for the same email and password for the registration account. See the document "New Features, Enhancements, and Bug Fixes.pdf" for details on this easy-to-use feature.
TAG: Download Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5