Requirements: You do NOT need to have Screenwriter installed to install and use the Screenwriter 6.7 Alpha. However, you MUST have a Screenwriter 6.5 serial number (which begins with "MMSW-").
Compatible with MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), MacOS 11 (Big Sur), and MacOS 10.14 (Mojave).
If this is your first time installing Screenwriter 6.5 or the 6.7 alpha version, please follow the step-by-step full installation instructions (below). Otherwise, the process is the same as you’ve used before:
- Installing: Download the install .dmg (disk image), double-click the .dmg, then double-click the installer .pkg. The downloaded file is likely located in the Downloads folder on your Mac.
- First Time Launching:* Screenwriter will install into your Applications folder, into a new "Screenwriter 6.7" folder. Open that folder, and double-click on the Screenwriter app. If this is the same computer that once ran Screenwriter 6.5, you might not even be asked to enter your serial number.
NOTE: The specific alpha version may be different but the process is the same for each alpha version.
- Click on the following link to download the current alpha version:
Download Link: Download the ALPHA VERSION install .dmg (disk image) from this link
- Once you click on the link, you will be brought the WeTransfer.com Write Brothers page. It may ask you to agree to the terms. Press the "I Agree" button.
- Click on the Download button to begin the download. Once the download is done...
- Click on the desktop to go to the Finder.
- Use the Go>Downloads menu command to open the Downloads folder
- Sort the window by date and you should find the alpha version DMG download file (e.g. Screenwriter 6.7.0.x ALPHA x.dmg).
- Double-click on the DMG file to mount it on the desktop.
- The DMG will open and you should see a Screenwriter installer volume (window).
- Inside of that volume, double-click on the Install Movie Magic Screenwriter... icon.
- A small message may be displayed that it is verifying.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
- When prompted for a password during installation, enter the password you use to log into your Mac computer.
- Press the Install Software button.
- Once the installer is completed, you should get the Installation was Successful screen.
- Click on the Close button.
- The next step is to ACTIVATE your software.
- In the Finder, open your Applications folder by using the Go>Applications menu command. Within the Applications folder there should be a Screenwriter 6.7 folder. Open the Screenwriter 6.7 folder.
- Double-click on the Activate & Register Screenwriter app to begin the activation process.
- The first thing you're asked for is a serial number. Screenwriter 6.7 alpha versions use Screenwriter 6.5 serial numbers that begin with "MMSW".
- If this is your first time registering this serial number, skip to the next step (#21). If this serial number has already been registered, you will see a DIFFERENT window titled, "Use an Existing Registered Account".
Since you've already registered this serial number, enter the SAME account email and password you used to register this software before. Then SKIP to step #24.
- Your next step is to choose your registration type. If this is your first Screenwriter 6.5 serial number registration, which is MOST LIKELY, choose the first option and press Next.
If you have already registered one or more and would like to manage the serial numbers together, choose the second option.
- For the first option, you'll need to create a new account. (For the second option, log into your existing account.)
NOTE: This account has nothing to do with the Screenplay.com account or accounts associated with earlier versions of Screenwriter. This is an account for controlling the activations of Screenwriter 6.5 and 6.7 alpha versions (or Mac Dramatica Story Expert 5.3). You may use the same email and password if you want, but this account exclusively is for managing software activations. The email address you use to create the account becomes the permanent account ID, so if this is a company account you may want to have the person managing the software set up the account with their company email address. (The contact email address may be changed at a later date, but not the Account ID.)
- When completed, press Next. Fill in the optional information, and press Next.
- Enter your computer name, such as Chris' MacBook Pro, or Desktop iMac, etc. Make unique enough so if you activate more than one Mac you can tell which one is which.
- Press next and your computer will be activated:
- You will get a confirmation screen when you have a successful activation. Click on Finish.
- Screenwriter 6.7 alpha version will open and you're all set to go.
Catalina and Big Sur Security:
Catalina and Big Sur introduce a lot of new security measures, and you MAY see an alert like the following:
Make sure to answer OK to that alert, or you will not be able to open or create documents! Alpha 14 may make the next step unnecessary.
Another way to check that is to go into the Privacy tab of the Security & Privacy System Preferences. You should see a section, "Full Disk Access:"
You may need to unlock the preferences before you can add Screenwriter to the list. Make sure Screenwriter is checked beneath Screenwriter.
If you have a "Files and Folders" section, add Screenwriter to the list as well.
Need to Reclaim An Activation?
TAG: Download Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5