If you receive an error that says register.write-bros.com site not available, which is where Screenwriter 6.0's activation server is located, and you have already disabled your antivirus and security apps, the problem may be that the version of your browser will not connect to the older style servers (namely TLS 1.0) because of newer security standards.
NOTE: Newer versions of Screenwriter use updated activation protocols and do not have this problem.
The easiest way to bypass the problem (temporarily) to activate the Windows version of Screenwriter 6 is to change your default browser to Firefox. If you don't have Firefox, it may be downloaded for free from https://www.mozilla.org/.
To change your default browser to Firefox in Windows 10.
- Select the Start button, and then type Default apps.
- In the search results, select Default apps.
- Under Web browser, select the browser currently listed, and then select Firefox.
If you receive an error message that the "Secure Connection Failed" with an "Enable TLS 1.0 and 1.1" button toward the bottom, please click on the "Enable TLS 1.0 and 1.1" button. Our activation site uses an older server version which is why the newer browsers may complain about it. Our activation site is fully secure and contacting the server is necessary to activate
If that does not work, here are the steps necessary to modify Firefox to support TLS 1.0:
- Start Firefox
- Use the File>New Windows menu command to open a new window
- Enter about:config in the address bar and hit RETURN
- You will get a warning about modifying firefox settings, which you'll need to accept;
- In the field at the top that says, "Search Preference Name"...
- ...enter security.tls.version.min
- You'll see something that looks like this:
- Click on the pencil, and change the 3 to a 1
- Click on the checkmark to confirm.
- Not sure if required, but EXIT out of Firefox, and restart Firefox.
- Now try to activate again
Once activated, you can change the security version back by redoing the steps and in Step 8, change the 1 to a 3.