THE SYMPTOM: You go to launch Screenwriter, and then nothing appears to happen -- the program doesn't even open and never appears in the Task Bar!
There are a couple of possible culprits:
1: DEFAULT PRINTER IS NOT SET
Screenwriter requires the Default Printer to be set -- even if you don't have a default printer:
BUT I SET MY DEFAULT PRINTER!
Yes, but there is also a checkbox (in the same place you set your default printer), "Let Windows manage my default printer" -- this option should NOT be checked.
2: MY WINDOWS LAPTOP SUPPORTS TOUCH SCREEN ("TABLET MODE")
Do you have a laptop / notebook (or tablet) that supports Windows Tablet Mode? If so, you may have settings that look like this:
These settings can cause problems for Screenwriter, which is not designed to run in Tablet Mode. If so, you will get a blank screen and it appears Screenwriter isn't running. But, if you click slowly three times, Screenwriter will open, albeit in full screen mode. See this article for how to change these settings and eliminate this issue:
3: HAVE YOU UPDATED YOUR COMPUTER OR VERSION OF WINDOWS RECENTLY?
If you have updated your computer's hardware (or moved all your software to a new computer), or changed to a new version of Windows (typically to Windows 10), then you may need to Download and reinstall Screenwriter again:
4: DEP SETTINGS PREVENTING SCREENWRITER FROM RUNNING
If the above two options aren;t the cause, then the 'Data Execution Prevention' (DEP) setting in Windows is most likely causing this problem. This is a security feature that prevents some rare and extreme cases of security exploits.
Normally, 'Data Execution Prevention' (DEP) is only enabled for Windows apps. However, on some systems, this feature may have been configured for ALL applications. You can either turn it off for all programs, or make an exception for Screenwriter (see below):
TO OPEN THE DEP SETTINGS:
- Click on the Start button for Windows.
- Find Computer on the right side.
- Right click on Computer and choose Properties.
- On the left, click on Advanced Settings. Click Continue/Allow if prompted.
- Under the 'Performance' section, click on Settings.
- Click on the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab.
- If not chosen already, click on Allow DEP for all programs and services except those I select:.
- Continue with the steps below (Excluding Screenwriter 6 from DEP).
EXCLUDING SCREENWRITER 6 from DEP:
- Click on the Add button in the DEP window.
- At the top, under 'Look In:' find your hard drive, which is most likely labeled Local Hard Disk (C:) and click on it.
- On the list of files, find the Program Files (x86) folder and double-click on it.
- Find the Write Brothers, Inc. folder and double-click on it.
- Find the Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 folder and double-click on it.
- Find the file called Scwriter32 and double-click on it. 'Movie Magic Screenwriter' should now be on the list in the DEP window.
- Click OK twice and try running Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 again by double-clicking on the shortcut on the desktop.
Here's a more detailed article about disabling Data Execution Prevention
5: I HAVE JING
There have been extremely rare reports of this issue occurring with a screenshot program called Jing. Try disabling Jing (or uninstall it) to see if that allows you to use the program.
FAQ ABOUT JING -- LINK: When I try to open Screenwriter 6 for Windows, it starts to come up and then nothing happens.