If you get a crash in Mac Screenwriter 6.7 that says something like, 'root node failed in WBPreferenceFile.cpp at line #454’, the problem is that the Screenwriter preference file has been damaged. This sometimes happens if it is left over from an earlier version and was not updated to work with the current version of Screenwriter.
The solution is to delete the Screenwriter preference folder called, "com.writebros.Screenwriter67". Here are the steps to do it.
- Quit Screenwriter if it is running
- Go to the Finder by clicking on the desktop
- Use the Go>Library menu command**
- Double-click on the Application Support folder to open it
- Right-click on the "com.writebros.Screenwriter67" folder and choose the Move to Trash option
- Relaunch Screenwriter
- You will get a notice that this is the first time you've run Screenwriter and it needs access to your folders
- Click OK
- It should open a window that is your documents window titled, "Movie Magic Screenwriter"
- Press Confirm
- You may get a notice or two -- press OK
- Screenwriter should open for you
- Test it by typing a word or two and use the File>Save menu command to save your document
- Screenwriter should save the file successfully and it also creates a new preference file so the problem should not happen again
** IF YOU ARE USING A NON-ENGLISH SYSTEM, here is another way to locate and remove the "com.writebros.Screenwriter67" folder.
- Press COMMAND+OPTION+SPACE to bring up the Find window.
- In the search field, put in "com.writebros.Screenwriter67"
- Hit the + to add another parameter and add "System files" and "are included"
- Right-click on the folder and select Move to Trash.
Then pick up with Step 6 above.