File version: 18.104.22.168 R4
Requirements: Mac OS X 10.10 - 10.13 (High Sierra Compatible)
NOTE: Mac Screenwriter 6.5 requires a paid upgrade from 6.0* and uses a completely different serial number that begins with MMSW and uses a different activation account that must be created on activation. (*Free to those who purchased the software on or after January 1, 2017; some exceptions and restriction may apply.)
This download will install Mac Screenwriter 6.5 as a new installation or update an existing 6.5 installations as an update (this will not affect any of your documents).
- Click here for the 6.5 release notes.
- Click here to see summary of supplemental changes since the 6.5 release.
- First, quit out of Screenwriter completely if you have not done so already by clicking Screenwriter > Quit Screenwriter.
- Click on the CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL link above on this page.
- Once you click on the link, you MAY get a small window that lets you choose either to Open the compressed file (e.g. Screenwriter22.214.171.124-release4.dmg.zip) using an Archive Utility (recommended), or select Save File to save the compressed in your Downloads folder .
- The file is large and can take a while to download. You can check the progress by using your browser's download status option. This example screenshot is from Firefox:
- Once the download is done:
- If you choose to open the file, the uncompressed DMG file (e.g. Screenwriter 126.96.36.199 release 3.dmg) will be located in your Downloads folder.
- If you chose to save the file, you can find the Screenwriter188.8.131.52-release4.dmg.zip file in your Downloads folder (or wherever you downloaded the file).
- Open the Downloads folder using the Finder.
- Double-click on the Screenwriter184.108.40.206-release4.dmg.zip file to un-compress the file.
- Double-click on the DMG file (e.g. Screenwriter 220.127.116.11 release 4.dmg) to mount it on the desktop.
- The DMG will open and you should see a Screenwriter installer volume (window) that looks like this:
- Inside of that volume, double-click on the Install Movie Magic Screenwriter... icon.
- A small message will be displayed:
NOTE: For some users, the installer seems to get stuck at this point. If this happens to you, follow the directions in this FAQ: Fixing a Macintosh .pkg that gets stuck in the 'verifying" stage...
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
- When prompted for a password during installation, enter the password you use to log into your Mac computer:
- Press the Install Software button.
- Once the installer is completed, you should get the Installation was Successful screen:
- Click on the Close button.
NOTE: Updating an installed version of Mac Screenwriter 6.5 does not require the activation step if an earlier version of the software was installed previously.