File version: 220.127.116.11 R13
Requirements: Mac OS X 10.10 - 10.14 (High Sierra and Mojave-compatible)
NOTE: Screenwriter 6.5 is NOT COMPATIBLE with OSX 10.15 (Catalina)
RELATED LINK: Read this before you update to OSX 10.15
Yes, it looks like a long, detailed process, but it's really not -- we've just broken out each step with pictures. Essentially, you'll download the software installer disk image, open the disk image and run the installer, then run the Screenwriter program to activate using your serial number. Most of those steps are self-explanatory, but we provide these detailed instructions below in case you prefer to follow them.
Mac Screenwriter 6.5 Serial numbers begin with MMSW
NOTE: Mac Screenwriter 6.5 requires a paid upgrade from 6.0* and uses a completely different serial number that begins with MMSW and uses a different activation account that must be created on activation.
This download will install Mac Screenwriter 6.5 as a new installation or update an existing 6.5 installations as an update (this will not affect any of your documents).
- Click here for the 6.5 release notes.
- Click here to see summary of supplemental changes since the 6.5 release.
SCREENWRITER 6.0: If you have Mac OS 10.9 or earlier, you should use Screenwriter 6, whose serial numbers begin with SCW0600. Click here to download Mac Screenwriter 18.104.22.168.Installation Instructions
- First, quit out of Screenwriter completely if you have not done so already by clicking Screenwriter > Quit Screenwriter.
- Click on the CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL link above on this page.
- Once you click on the link, you MAY get a small window that lets you choose either to Open the compressed file (e.g. MovieMagicScreenwriter65_12_70_R13.dmg.zip) using an Archive Utility (recommended), or select Save File to save the compressed in your Downloads folder .
- The file is large and can take a while to download. You can check the progress by using your browser's download status option.
- Once the download is done:
- If you choose to open the file, the uncompressed DMG file (e.g. MovieMagicScreenwriter65_12_70_R13.dmg) will be located in your Downloads folder.
- If you chose to save the file, you can find the MovieMagicScreenwriter65_12_70_R13.dmg.zip file in your Downloads folder (or wherever you downloaded the file).
- Open the Downloads folder using the Finder.
- Double-click on the MovieMagicScreenwriter65_12_70_R13.dmg.zip file to un-compress the file.
- Double-click on the DMG file (e.g. MovieMagicScreenwriter65_12_70_R13.dmg) to mount it on the desktop.
- The DMG will open and you should see a Screenwriter installer volume (window).
- Inside of that volume, double-click on the Install Movie Magic Screenwriter... icon.
- A small message will be displayed that it is verifying.
NOTE: For some users, the installer seems to get stuck at this point. If this happens to you, follow the directions in this FAQ: Fixing a Macintosh .pkg that gets stuck in the 'verifying" stage... If this doesn't work, try restarting your Mac and begin again at Step 5.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
- When prompted for a password during installation, enter the password you use to log into your Mac computer.
- Press the Install Software button.
- Once the installer is completed, you should get the Installation was Successful screen.
- Click on the Close button.
- The next step is to ACTIVATE your software.
- In the Finder, open your Applications folder. Within the Applications folder there should be a Screenwriter 6.5 folder. Open the Screenwriter 6.5 folder.
- Double-click on the Activate & Register Screenwriter app to begin the activation process.
- The first thing you're asked for is a serial number. Screenwriter 6.5 serial numbers all begin with "MMSW".
- If this is your first time registering this serial number, skip to the next step (#20). If this serial number has already been registered, you will see a DIFFERENT window titled, "Use an Existing Registered Account".
Since you've already registered this serial number, enter the SAME account email and password you used to register this software before. Then SKIP to step #23.
- Your next step is to choose your registration type. If this is your first Screenwriter 6.5 serial number registration, which is MOST LIKELY, choose the first option and press Next.
If you have already registered one or more and would like to manage the serial numbers together, choose the second option.
- For the first option, you'll need to create a new account. (For the second option, log into your existing account.)
NOTE: This account has nothing to do with the Screenplay.com account or accounts associated with earlier versions of Screenwriter. This is an account for controlling the activations of Screenwriter 6.5 (or Mac Dramatica Story Expert 5.3). You may use the same email and password if you want, but this account exclusively is for managing software activations. The email address you use to create the account becomes the permanent account ID, so if this is a company account you may want to have the person managing the software set up the account with their company email address. (The contact email address may be changed at a later date, but not the Account ID.)
- When completed, press Next. Fill in the optional information, and press Next.
- Enter your computer name, such as Chris' MacBook Pro, or Desktop iMac, etc. Make unique enough so if you activate more than one Mac you can tell which one is which.
- Press next and your computer will be activated:
- You will get a confirmation screen when you have a successful activation. Click on Finish.
- Screenwriter 6.5 will open and you're all set to go.
In some cases the installer may ask you to click the "Upgrade" button to install. In these cases, go ahead and click "Upgrade" to complete installation. Once the installation is complete, you can locate the program in the /Applications/Screenwriter 6.5 folder on your hard drive.
The first time you install and launch Screenwriter 6.5, you will be asked to create a NEW registration account, which will be the primary email for contacting you. You will also create a password.
Unlike with our previous license management, you can "reclaim" installs at any time using an account management screen that you can access from Screenwriter's HELP > Activations and Registration command. This command will also ask you for the same email and password for the registration account. See the document "New Features, Enhancements, and Bug Fixes.pdf" for details on this easy-to-use feature.
NOTE: Mac Screenwriter 6.5 uses a different license management system and serial number than Screenwriter 6. Installing Screenwriter 6.5 does not remove any Screenwriter 6 version, though it is recommended that you uninstall version 6 after successfully installing version 6.5. This will not affect your documents.
YOU SHOULD DELETE THE OLD SCREENWRITER 6 FOLDER:
ADDITIONAL NOTICE: Because we found that some users would accidentally launch the older Screenwriter 6.0 version, this Screenwriter 22.214.171.124 installer now deletes any old version of Screenwriter 6.0 (i.e. the Screenwriter.app file located in your /Applications/Screenwriter 6). Any version prior to Screenwriter 6.5 won't run on MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or 10.14 (Mojave) anyway, and the Screenwriter 6.5 version you're installing SUPERCEEDS any 6.0.x version. The old Screenwriter 6 folder is left in place, but will no longer contain a copy of the old app. Your document files will remain unaffected.
Feel free to delete the entire OLD /Applications/Screenwriter 6 folder – your newer program will be located in the /Applications/Screenwriter 6.5 folder.
The folder for the OLD Screenwriter 6 is /Applications/Screenwriter 6. This folder will not contain any of your screenplays -- those would typically be in your Documents folder.
One-time Warning About "Movie Magic Screenwriter is not optimized for your Mac"
The first time Screenwriter 6.5 runs on OSX 10.13.x (High Sierra) and OSX 10.14.x (Mojave), you will see an alert that says "Screenwriter is not optimized for your Mac.
Screenwriter is presently a 32-bit Carbon application.
FEAR NOT: We are working diligently so our software will be ready before Apple terminates support for 32-bit Carbon applications. See this FAQ for more information.
TAG: Download Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5