IMPORTANT information about free 64-bit / full retina versions of Screenwriter coming
Summer is when Apple rolls out their newest version of MacOS, with announcements in early June, and delivery in mid-to-late September. This new version of MacOS, 10.15 (Catalina), will bring with it the biggest changes to MacOS in a decade: the elimination of ALL 32-bit "Carbon" applications, and the requirement that all applications running on 10.15 after September's release be 64-bit "Cocoa" applications.
- Apple will announce MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) in June, and release it in September;
- The current Screenwriter 6.5 will not run on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina);
- We are preparing a free upgrade to Screenwriter 6.5 that will run on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina);
- In July and August, DO NOT install Apple's pre-release beta of 10.15 (Catalina) on your primary writing computer: Screenwriter 6.5 will cease to run;
- Wait until late September when Apple's new MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) has stabilized and Write Brothers has shipping the free upgrade of Screenwriter;
- You are NOT affected at all if you are planning on staying with current versions of MacOS: "Sierra", "High Sierra", or "Mojave" (i.e. MacOS 10.12 through 10.14).
The Movie Magic Screenwriter that you are using is built on Apple's 32-bit "Carbon" technology, but not for long. We intend to test a modern 64-bit Cocoa version of Screenwriter over the summer, with a final, shippable version ready by the time MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) ships in September. We expect this new 64-bit release of Screenwriter to support full Retina resolution, and other standards, such as MacOS Mojave "Dark Mode", and full screen, among others.
We also expect this to be a FREE update to all Screenwriter 6.5 users.
What Do I Need To Do?
Nothing. Sit tight and do not install MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) until we have provided you with a new 64-bit version of Screenwriter. Apple will not release MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) until September, and even then we usually recommend all clients wait at least until the 10.15.1 (or 10.15.2) revision for Apple to get all their kinks out. Apple's early bug fixing usually takes us into early October.
However, some users will be tempted to jump on Apple's early public beta test versions of MacOS 10.15, which will probably become publicly available in July and August. IMPORTANT: If you choose to install Apple's beta (pre-release) version of MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) before we ship the new 64-bit Screenwriter update, your current copy of Screenwriter will cease to run.
Write Brothers has been working closely with Apple engineers to port Screenwriter to the modern 64-bit standard, and it has been a long, slow process because Screenwriter has hundreds of professional features, many more than any other screenplay word processor. Because of Screenwriter's extensive use in the production world, it is our top priority that the new version maintain full compatibility with your existing scripts, plays, and novels.
We believe you'll be happy with the results.
If you also own our story development tool, Dramatica Story Expert, you will receive similar communications on a 64-bit version shortly.
Expect further communications from us as we get closer to our own external tests later in the summer.
Write Brothers, Inc.