Windows Screenwriter 6 does not work well with Dropbox or other cloud drives. The problem is that Windows can default to moving your Screenwriter .MMSW document files -- as well as .TMB and .BK backup files -- to the cloud instead of working with them locally on your hard drive.
We suggest you do the following to avoid some problems with using Screenwriter and Dropbox.
FIRST: We recommend that you check to see if your documents are stored automatically on the Windows Dropbox. If they are, we suggest that you disable it from Dropbox's backup/hosting.
HOW TO STOP A DROPBOX FOLDER FROM SYNCING:
- Choose which folders to store on your hard drive
- Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
- Click the Sync tab.
- Under Selective Sync, click Choose folders (Mac) or Selective Sync… (Windows).
- Check the folders you'd like saved on your hard drive. Uncheck the folders you'd like removed.
- Click Update.
SECOND: Make the following changes while in Screenwriter
- Use the Tools>Options menu command
- Click on the Startup/Files tab
- Change the "Place previous versions files in" option to the first option, 'A subfolder named, "Previous Versions" '
- Set the "Retain up to" previous versions option to "99" to make sure you keep as many earlier versions a you can
- Set the "When Screenwriter starts, it should" option to "Leave you in a Blank Document"
- Press the OK button to apply the changes and close the Options window