OVERVIEW: As of April of 2022, we changed from an older Screenwriter 6 license management (with serial numbers that began with "SCRW0600"), to a new, modern license management that makes installation easier and more reliable. This is same system we presently use for Mac Screenwriter 6.5/6.7 and Mac Dramatica Story Expert. The new Windows system uses serial numbers that begin with "WMM6". Conversion from the older serial numbers is completely free. There is no change to feature set of the actual Screenwriter program -- just the way that the software is installed, activated, and launched.
TERMINOLOGY: If we refer to "SCRW", we mean the OLDER, pre-April 2022 Screenwriter. If we refer to "WMM6", we mean the NEWER April 2022 Screenwriter installers.
COMPATIBILITY: Windows 11, Windows 10, and Windows 8.1/8.0. (Windows 7 users cannot use the new system, and should see this FAQ for installation and activation)
Requirements: To either convert from the older Screenwriter 6 license management, or Install a fresh copy from scratch, you do NOT need to have the older Screenwriter installed to install or update to use the Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 for Windows (2022). However, you MUST have a Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 for Windows (2022) serial number, which begins with "WMM6-".UPDATING: If you own an "SCRW" license to Windows Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 serial number and have not yet updated to the newer "WMM6" serial number, please submit a tech support ticket to get your replacement serial number.
Although the update process will remove the old software, your existing screenplays will not be moved or deleted.
Full Installation Instructions
- Click on the following link to download Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 for Windows (2022):
Download Link: Download Screenwriter 6 for Windows (2022) from WeTransfer.com
- Once you click on the link, you will be brought the WeTransfer.com Write Brothers page. It may ask you to agree to the terms. Press the "I Agree" button. We use WeTransfer.com because it is the safest way to download large files without worrying about potential security risks.
- Click on the Download button to begin the download.
- Once the download is done...
- If you have the option to launch "Install Screenwriter 6 (2022).exe" by clicking on it in your browser, do so -- OR...
- Go to your Downloads folder and double-click on the "Install Screenwriter 6 (2022).exe" app
- You may get a "Windows protected your PC" window. If you do, click on the More Info link. NOTE: There are several variations of these warnings and their display. The important point is to give Screenwriter permission to install.
For example, if you use Microsoft Edge as your browser, you might get this window:
Click on "See more". Select "Keep" in the next window, then on "Show more" in the following window. Finally click on "Keep anyway" and THEN you may get a "Windows protected your PC" window:
- Press the "Run Anyway" button
- Close or minimize your browser because the installer may appear behind the browser window
- You will see the Screenwriter installer window with the license agreement
- Click on the "I accept the agreement" and press the Next button
- Click on the Install button
- You will see the program installing, which may take up to a minute or two
- Once installation is complete, you will see the installation notes, which we recommend reading
- Press the Next button when you are done reading the "Notes for this version of Screenwriter 6.05". If you are asked to restart Windows, please do.
- Press the Finish button.
- If the "Activate Screenwriter (recommended)" option is checked, the Screenwriter activation application will launch
- If the option is NOT checked, navigate to the "This PC > Windows (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Write Brothers Inc." folder and double-click on the "View my Activations and Registrations" app to launch it
- Activating the Software: The first window in activating asks you for your Windows serial number, which begins with "WMM6"
- Press the Verify button
- If this is your first time registering this serial number, skip to the next step. If this serial number has already been registered, you will see a DIFFERENT window titled, "Use an Existing Registered Account".
Since you've already registered this serial number, enter the SAME account email and password you used to register this software before. Then SKIP to step #24.
- If you have never activated this serial number, the next step is to choose your registration type. If this is your first Windows Screenwriter 6 (2022) serial number registration, which is MOST LIKELY, choose the first option and press Next.
- If you have already registered one or more Screenwriter 6 (2022) or Mac Screenwriter 6.5 / 6.7 and would like to manage the serial numbers together, choose the second option.
- For the first option, you'll need to create a new account. (For the second option, log into your existing account.)
NOTE: This account has nothing to do with the Screenplay.com account or accounts associated with earlier versions of Screenwriter. This is an account for controlling the activations of Windows Screenwriter 6 (2022), Mac Screenwriter 6.5 and 6.7 versions (or Mac Dramatica Story Expert 5.3). You may use the same email and password if you want, but this account exclusively is for managing software activations. The email address you use to create the account becomes the permanent account ID, so if this is a company account you may want to have the person managing the software set up the account with their company email address. (The contact email address may be changed at a later date, but not the Account ID.)
- When completed, press Next. Fill in the optional information, and press Next.
- Enter your computer name, such as Lenny's Laptop, or My 2022 Desktop, etc. Make unique enough so if you activate more than one computer you can tell which one is which.
- Press Activate and your computer will be activated. You should receive an message that the activation was successful. You should also receive an email with the activation information.
Need to Reclaim An Activation?
TAG: Download Windows Movie Magic Screenwriter 6 (2022)