Updated: February 23, 2023
IMPORTANT information about the 64-bit version of Dramatica Story Expert
The current version of Dramatica Story Expert is 5.3.1, is a 32bit application, and does NOT run on versions of MacOS higher than 10.14 (Mojave).
When Apple rolled out MacOS 10.15 (called Catalina), it brought with it the biggest changes to MacOS in a decade: the elimination of ALL support for 32-bit "Carbon" applications, and the requirement that all applications running on 10.15 and higher are 64-bit "Cocoa" applications.
- The current Dramatica Story Expert 5.3.1 CANNOT run on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) or Big Sur or Monterey or Ventura;
- We are working on an upgrade to Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 that will run on all 64bit versions of MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), though we do not have an E.T.A. (see below);
- If you upgrade to MacOS to 10.15 (Catalina) or higher on your primary writing computer: Dramatica 5.3 will cease to run;
- You are NOT affected at all if you are planning on staying with your version of MacOS: "Sierra", "High Sierra", or "Mojave" (i.e. MacOS 10.12 through 10.14).
Here is the current status of our update for the 64bit version of Dramatica Story Expert:
- Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 is a 32bit app and therefore compatible with MacOS 10.10 through 10.14 (Mojave), but is not compatible with Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, or Catalina because they only run 64bit applications
- We expect to begin alpha testing the 64bit version of Dramatica Story Expert some time after the final release version of Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.7. Since the 64bit version of Dramatica Story Expert requires a full rewrite, we are using much of the technology developed during the development of the 64bit version of Screenwriter.
- Much of the 64bit version of Movie Magic Screenwriter has been completed.
- We're sorry this has taken so long – literally a few years. By way of explanation, Dramatica is a very sophisticated piece of that uses a complex custom framework for user interface that was developed over twenty years ago. The Dramatica story engine software code itself is very cleanly written and portable, but the user interface code has been very difficult to disentangle.
- Part of our process is that we desperately want to preserve everyone’s older Story Expert files. In order to do that, we have needed to carefully replicate the same software used to produce those files. That part of the process has been excruciatingly difficult. We’re still trying to port that older file format.
Rest assured we will notify all current users once we have even the earliest version of the program running and in a usable state. The new version will use the same serial number as Dramatica Story Expert 5.3, so the new version will be, essentially, free to all existing users.
Write Brothers, Inc.